“Why does my dog bark and howl when I leave?” This is a question I have heard many dog owners ask on my TikTok page, and today I am going to give some reasons for this behavior.
Dogs are known for their loyalty and companionship, but one behavior that can be confusing for dog owners is when a dog suddenly starts barking and howling each time you leave the house or they are alone.
Dogs may bark and howl for a variety of reasons, but one common situation is when a dog barks and howls when left alone. This behavior can be worrisome for dog owners, as it may indicate that the dog is stressed or unhappy.
In this article, we will explore the reasons why dogs bark and howl when you leave the house, as well as what you can do to help reduce this behavior.
Why does my dog bark and howl when I leave?
From personal experience, here are some of the reasons why my dog barks and howls when i leave the house:
Some dogs bark and howl because it is a genetic behavior.
One of the reasons why some dog breeds may bark and howl when you leave is because it is a genetic behavior. Wolves, for instance, as the wild ancestors of domestic dogs, use howling as a way to communicate with other pack members. They may howl to signal their location or to call other pack members to them.
Domesticated dogs may have inherited this behavior from their wild ancestors and may howl to communicate with other dogs or humans, even if they are not physically present.
Dogs bark and howl because of separation anxiety.
Another reason why dogs may howl when left alone is when they are suffering from separation anxiety.
Separation anxiety is a disorder in which a dog becomes overly anxious when separated from their owner or other attachment figures. This can cause a variety of behaviors, including destructive chewing, barking, and howling.
Dogs with separation anxiety may bark and howl as a way to call out for their owner to return.
Dogs bark and howl because of boredom and loneliness.
Dogs may also bark and howl when you leave out of boredom and loneliness. Since dogs are social animals and thrive on interaction and companionship, when left alone for extended periods of time, they may become bored and lonely and may express this through howling.
Read also>> List Of Popular Off-Leash Dog Parks in Massachusetts
Dogs bark and howl because of health issues.
Some dogs may bark and howl when left alone due to pain or discomfort caused by an injury or medical condition. It’s important to check for any health issues if your dog is howling excessively.
Dogs bark and howl when they need attention.
Still on the question, “Why does my dog bark and howl when I leave?” Your dog may howl when left alone because it needs the attention of the owner. Most times, this is a way of trying to communicate their distress or loneliness to their owners or to other dogs in the area.
This behavior is often seen in dogs that have a strong bond with their owners and may feel separation anxiety when left alone.
In addition, certain breeds of dogs, such as huskies, have a natural tendency to howl as a form of communication. So, it’s important to understand the dog’s breed and their individual characteristics to know why they howl when left alone.
What to do if your dog keeps howling excessively
To address excessive barking and howling, it is important to first identify the underlying cause; then, from there, you can know how to tackle the problem.
- If you suspect that your dog is howling due to separation anxiety, try to make departures and arrivals low-key and predictable. Gradually increase the amount of time you spend away from your dog, and provide plenty of mental and physical stimulation when you are away. Consider seeking the help of a professional behaviorist if you feel you need professional help.
- If your dog is howling due to boredom, try to increase their mental and physical activity. This can include providing interactive dog toys, increasing their exercise, and providing more opportunities for socialization.
- If you suspect that your dog is in pain or ill and this is causing it to bark and howl excessively, consult your vet for a proper examination.
- If your dog is howling for attention, it is important to ignore the behavior and only give attention to your dog when they are quiet. This will teach your dog that howling does not result in attention while being quiet does.
- Teaching your dog basic obedience commands such as “quiet” and “stay” can help them learn to control their howling.
It’s important to note that it may take time and patience to effectively address excessive howling. A certified professional dog trainer or a veterinary behaviorist can be a valuable resource in addressing the problem.
Read also>> When can you take your puppy for its first walk? Find out here
In summary, to the question “Why does my dog bark and howl when I leave?” Dogs may howl when left alone for a variety of reasons, including genetic or ancestral behavior, separation anxiety, boredom, and loneliness.
However, with proper training, desensitization, and stimulation, pet owners can help reduce this behavior and ensure that their dog is happy and comfortable when left alone.