My dog ate soap: what do i do?

My dog ate soap: what do I do? The question might sound unbelievable and silly, but some dogs have this bad habit of eating and chewing whatever object they come across. And believe me, eating soap isn’t an exception.

So having a dog at home means knowing that you can’t leave any object lying around. That’s because they are very curious animals, and they don’t miss the opportunity to snoop around something that calls attention. However, this is a warning point for dog owners; they should be aware that when a pet eats soap, it can cause several complications to the dog’s health.

But hey! Did your dog really eat soap? Just be calm! The dog may not die!

It’s no reason to panic. As toxic as it sounds, eating soap isn’t a death sentence for dogs, especially when consumed in small quantities. A lot of people think that by eating soap, the dog will automatically die of poisoning or intoxication, but that’s not true. The animal’s body can fight this problem on its own.

What you should be worried about is:

  • How big is the dog that ate the soap?
  • Is it a puppy or an adult dog?
  • How much soap did the dog eat?
  • Is that a lot or a little compared to the size of the dog?

What happens when the dog eats soap?

When the pet eats something it shouldn’t, it’s called a “foreign body.” That is, they are any objects, products, or substances ingested by the animal that should not be in its system.

To be honest, dogs eating soap isn’t healthy, but it’s also not a death sentence. Generally, soap is made and formulated with concentrated powders and chemicals that are very toxic and dangerous for animals. It contains high amounts of formaldehyde, dioxane, propylene glycol, and urea, among other harmful substances.

It is very dangerous and risky to the health of your dog to eat large amounts of soap that contains those substances mentioned above. Hence the importance of keeping chemicals out of the reach of animals.

So if the dog is big, an adult, or eats very little soap, nothing will happen. If the dog eats a reasonable amount of soap, and if this soap contains more harmful and stronger substances (like coconut soap, bar soap, etc.), the dog will have diarrhea and stomach pains, but nothing serious. Only if the dog is a puppy or small and consumes a lot of soap should you be concerned and take the dog to the vet for a thorough examination.

So to be clear…

The dog will be practically normal when:

  • ate a little soap
  • I preferred a small amount of soap or foam.
  • are a medium or large adult

 Read also>> How many years does a poodle live? find out here

What are the symptoms that indicate that the dog ate soap?

Dogs who consume soap may experience gastrointestinal symptoms such as:


Soap can irritate the lining of the stomach and cause your dog to vomit.


Soap can also irritate the lining of the intestines and cause diarrhea.

Loss of appetite

If your dog is feeling unwell due to the soap ingestion, they may lose their appetite.

Abdominal pain

Your dog may show signs of abdominal discomfort or pain, such as crying or whimpering when their abdomen is touched.


Vomiting and diarrhea can lead to dehydration, which can cause lethargy, a dry mouth, and sunken eyes.

Changes in urine output

Soap ingestion can cause changes in urine output, such as an increase or decrease in the frequency or volume of urine.

What if my dog ate soap? Here is what to do:

As soon as you notice that your dog has eaten soap, do not hesitate to contact a veterinarian, either by telephone or by going to the clinic for face-to-face assistance.

Get as much information as possible before taking your dog to a professional. For instance, what kind of soap was it, whether it was intended for humans or animals, the quantity, how long has it been since the dog ate the soap, and anything else you believe is relevant.

Do not underestimate the situation, thinking that it could be something silly or that the dog ate little of the product. Dogs’ bodies function completely differently from ours. So, ingestion of toxic contents can be fatal if not treated quickly.

My dog ate soap. Is there a possibility of death?

Yes, of course. Usually, dogs who die from eating soap are very young puppies who eat a large amount of the product. If the puppy is alone and eats a whole bar of soap, and it takes a long time for someone to show up or realize that this has happened, the puppy may die.

Remember that puppies and elderly dogs are the most fragile and have the most complications in all cases. With them, attention should always be doubled.

But a healthy puppy will hardly die from eating soap. So don’t worry. In most cases, when a dog dies from eating soap, it probably had some other problem.

Read also>> How can you tell if your dog is unhappy?

How to prevent this situation

This is a very important step in dog care: removing any chance of the animal having access to chemicals, cleaning products, medicine, toxic plants, and food not suitable for animals, among others.

In this scenario, leave this type of product in closed environments, such as rooms and closets, out of reach of the pet. Even when you go to throw the garbage away, try to leave it as far away as possible because they are very curious animals.

Try distracting or switching your dog’s attention by giving it toys. So the dog gets distracted, which lessens the anxiety of looking for something to eat or chew.

Dog owners, take all the necessary measures to prevent this type of situation from happening; these actions will be essential to protecting your dog’s life.

I hope I have been able to provide a good answer to the popular question, “My dog ate soap: what do I do?” If you have suggestions or something to add, leave it in the comment section.


Similar Posts