A Black Pug dog has a wrinkled face, dark, bulging eyes, and a relatively broad head, proportionate to the body. These are some of the main black pug facts and physical characteristics.
Despite their square and robust appearance, this dog breed has a happy temperament, reinforced by a naturally sweet and affectionate expression.
Where did Black Pub Breed Originate from?
Compact and short-haired, the pug originates from ancient China, with records dating back to 700 BC.
There were claims that Pug breed specimens were taken to Europe as gifts to European traders from China at the end of the 16th century. Holland was the first country to receive them, and from there, they entered the Western World.
As a small dog, the Black Pug can easily adapt to smaller spaces, such as apartments. Therefore, it is an ideal breed to get as a companion dog, and it loves to play and is always close to the owner.
Some facts about the black pug are that it is very fond of eating and, if not controlled, can have obesity problems. In addition to this, the black pug is a brachycephalic dog. This means it has a shortened and flattened snout, which makes it more susceptible to respiratory problems.
WHAT DOES A PUREBRED PUG COST?
A purebred pug can cost between $280 and $740, depending on the bloodline or pedigree, origin, market availability, and other factors.
What is the life expectancy of the black Pug?
The black pug can live, on average, between 12 and 15 years. According to some vets, what determines the life expectancy of a pug dog breed are “the genetic characteristics inherited from parents and grandparents, food, and preventive care for the pet’s health.“
Such care includes:
- Keeping vaccines up-to-date
- Taking the dog to the vet for a regular checkup
- Providing balanced and quality nutrition
These are extremely important for maintaining your pet’s health, well-being, and quality of life.
Read also>> Best Dog parks in Agawam, Massachusetts
What is the black pug’s temperament?
Another black pug fact we are going to talk about is temperament. According to specialists, the black pug has a docile, loving temperament and is very attached to the family. Even if there are children in the house, the black pug is “extremely affectionate and playful.“
How much does a Pug Dog weigh?
The weight of the pug dog breed can vary between 6 kg and 10 kg. As it is an animal that likes to eat, the owner must keep a close watch on feeding and weight control.
Obesity can compromise the health of the pet, which is predisposed to joint problems, especially in the hip (hip dysplasia) and in the knees (patellar instability).
How Do I Train A Pug Dog?
Pugs are intelligent and loving dogs that can be trained with patience and positive reinforcement. Here are a few tips for training your pug:
- Start training as soon as you bring your pug home. This will help establish you as the leader of the pack and make it easier to teach your pug new commands.
- Use treats as rewards for good behavior. Pugs are food-motivated, so using treats as rewards can be an effective way to train them.
- Use a consistent routine and command words. This will help your pug understand what you expect from them.
- Be patient and don’t get frustrated. A fact about pugs is that they can be stubborn at times, but with patience and consistency, they will eventually learn.
- Consider enrolling in an obedience class. These classes can be a great way to socialize your black pug and learn new training techniques.
- Remember to praise and reward your pug for good behavior. This will help reinforce the behaviors you want to see and encourage your pug to continue doing them.
Overall, training a pug requires patience, consistency, and positive reinforcement. With these techniques, you should be able to effectively train your pug.
Does the Pug shed A Lot of Hair? Is special care required?
The pug’s short, fine, straight coat does not require special care and does not shed in large amounts all the time. One brushing a week is enough, says a vet.
Read also>> What are the most dangerous human foods for dogs? Find out here
Is it Better to Have a Black Pug as a companion dog?
Yes. The pug’s main aptitude is to keep the family company. “It is not a guard dog, but a dog whose main function is to provide attention, love, and affection to its owner and family members.” “They like to stay with their owners; they are extremely emotionally attached to the family.”
Do puppy dogs lick, sleep, and breathe a lot?
In addition to getting tired easily and, consequently, looking for more rest, this animal is an “extremely sociable breed and emotionally connected to the family.” For this reason, “they use barking and licking as forms of communication and emotional expression,” says a vet.
What are the various coat colors of Pug Breed?
There are some variations in the coat coloration of pugs. They can be found in black, white, silver (moonlight), brindle, fawn (close to cream), and apricot (orange).
What are the health Issues in Pub breeds?
Because they are brachycephalic dogs, that is, with a flattened head and a shortened snout, pugs can have respiratory problems and skin fold dermopathies, especially in the snout region as well as bulging of the eyes (exophthalmos).
It is also “very common” for this breed to have ophthalmic problems, such as corneal ulcers and ophthalmic lubrication deficiencies.
“The breed does not tolerate extreme temperatures, such as very hot or very cold. “Thus, skin problems caused by high ambient temperatures combined with high humidity can cause dermatopathies in these pets,” explains a veterinarian.
To avoid dermatitis, our source indicates, the owner can clean the pug’s folds with a cotton pad daily and always observe if there is any sign of inflammation in the area.
Can pug breeds be transported by plane?
They can, however, as the pug is brachycephalic and small. The most recommended thing to do is to have the pug transported in the cabin of the plane, next to the owner in the seat of the aircraft. Before traveling, check the rules of each company in advance.
Are There Physical Activities For Your Pug Breed?
Pugs are not sports dogs, but they require physical activity to expend energy and maintain good health. These activities, however, should be daily and moderate.
“One must bear this in mind so as not to overdo the exercises and cause unnecessary musculoskeletal injuries,” warns the doctor.
Here are some physical activities that you can do with your pug to keep them active and engaged:
- Walking: Taking your pug for regular walks is a great way to give them the physical and mental stimulation they need. Pugs are generally able to walk for about 20 to 30 minutes at a time, but you should adjust the duration and intensity of your walks to suit your pug’s age and fitness level.
- Running: Pugs are not known for being high-energy dogs, but they do enjoy running and playing fetch. You can throw a ball or toy for your pug to fetch, or you can take them to a fenced-in area where they can run and play off-leash. Just be sure to keep an eye on them and supervise their play to make sure they don’t get too tired or overheated.
- Swimming is a great low-impact exercise for pugs, and many dogs love being in the water. You can take your pug to a lake, river, or pool to swim, or you can invest in a kiddie pool for them to splash around in. Just be sure to always supervise your pug when they are in the water, and be prepared to help them out if they get tired.
- Hiking: If you and your Pug enjoy the great outdoors, you might try going on a hike together. Just be sure to keep your pug on a leash and be mindful of the terrain and weather conditions to ensure that your pug stays safe and comfortable.
- Training: Teaching your pug to do tricks or obedience exercises can be a fun and rewarding activity for both you and your dog. Training sessions can be as short or as long as you like, and they can be tailored to your pug’s individual needs and abilities.